18 months, that is.
Laura is 1 and 1/2 year old and more adorable than ever:
* She is a fast learner. Yesterday I sang to her the 5 Little Monkeys song and she learned most of the “choreography” in minutes. Today, driving back from nursery, she was singing “nomonam”, “manmanman” as in “no more monkeys” with her little finger waving “no”.
* It’s not a proud mom talk – the ladies at the nursery seem to be “impressed” with how quickly she learns things. She knows all the ladies’ and the kids’ names, even the new ones. She knows their names, but can’t say them. So how do we know that she knows their names? If you ask “where’s Nathan?”, she looks around looking for Nathan and points at the right kid.
* Yes, she knows everybody, but she decided that Leanne was the Hyena. Ayse was looking a book with animals pictures in it and asking “where’s the lion? where’s the elephant? where’s the giraffe?” and she pointed at the correct animal pictures. When she asked “where’s the hyena?”, Laura looked around until she found Leanne and pointed at her. And it was like this on and on and on and on, to the point that the ladies would call other staff members to see it! This was a few days ago and it is still the case.
* She is getting better and better at cuddling. Today she gave me the most amazing hug ever and stay like that for a while. She also loves touching her cheeks on our cheeks. Or caressing our arms. And even her toys and some photos get this VIP treatment. Sometimes followed by an “ooowwwwwwwnnnnn” sound.
* She eats almost all sort of things. She used to like cauliflower, but not anymore. She eats vegetables cut in small pieces with her food, but what she really likes is tomatoes. And rice. And raisins and yogurt. But doesn’t drink cow’s milk.
* Yes, she still breastfeeds. Before bedtime, minimum once in the middle of the night (but it can be up to three times) and maybe once when we wake up. Weekends this increases at least once during the day. I have a dilemma: yes, I do want to stop, to sleep a whole night. But yes, I do love breastfeeding her, I love calming her down when she is upset, I love bonding, I love having her in my arms. I miss her when I doesn’t wake up to feed in the middle of the night, I love hearing the “blub, blub, blub” from her drinking milk. I’m crazy.
* She loves running (I guess it’s a kid’s thing).
* She suffers with teething: a lot of pain, loose poo, nappy rash, bad mood, poor sleep… this time, no fever, which is great. Yes, she is teething again. 13 teeth and another 3 on their way? I think. Good thing is that she hasn’t been seriously ill – just a cold here and there, but nothing major, nothing too worrying. Having said that, we worry all the time and even a blocked nose (I have mine every day) is enough to keep us awake.
* She stopped throwing things on the floor. Now she carefully places anything on the floor.
* She dances, she chats, she talks on the phone, she is messy.
I’m pretty sure I’m missing other cool things that she has learned in these 18 months.
Happy monthversary, little baby!